This is my first post for this blog. Are you thinking why am i writing about sleep in the very first post. Because i had the problem. So i searched the internet, talk with my teachers (as i am a medical student). Finally a have found some tips that will help to get a better sleep at night. A good night sleep is essential for everyday work. People asks me as a doctor how to get it. Well its not that tough. If don’t have a proper sleep at night simply you may be called to have insomnia. Its a dangerous health condition if persist for long duration.
Better sleep at is necessary to keep you fresh, energetic all day long.
So here is 17 tips to get better sleep at night.
- Go to bed at the same time every night. It will help to maintain the internal clock.
- Wake up at the morning at a same time. If you have enough sleep you don’t need a alarm clock.
- Avoid any kind of distraction like as switch off the radio, television, putt the mobile in silent mode etc.
- Use a comfortable mattress with appropriate blankets and sheets and a supportive pillow.
- Exercise especially aerobic exercise will help you to get a better sleep but avoid exercise 3-4 hours before bed.
- Avoid daytime naps, if not possible try to keep it under half an hour.
- A adult person needs almost 7-8 hours of sleep, but it may vary. So sleep regularly for specific time which suits you.
- Eat light meal for dinner. Heavy meal will hamper your sleep definitely. Avoid heavy, fatty, spicy, alcohol, smoking, caffeine, rich foods within two hours of bed.
- Dont drink too much before getting to sleep, Because it may force you to go to the bathroom. Rather drink enough during the daytime.
- Dont use any back lit device in the bed such as iPod,mobile phone etc.
- Before going to bed make sure your room is enough dark, quiet, comfortable and cool. Melatonin is a hormone which controls our sleep. It secrets in the evening depending upon the light exposure. So use heavy black curtain to cover the light source such as windows.
- Soundproof room is very much essential for good smooth sleep. So get rid of barking dogs, traffic horns, loud tv sound, neighbours etc. you may use ear plug. You can listen soft music.
- Use your bed only for sleeping purpose.
- Dont take your anxiety and stress with you while sleeping.
- Close your eye, take a deep breath, relax muscle, imagine a peaceful place or activity or past memory that makes you happy.
- Talk with your wife or a near ones about the sleep problems.
- You can take medicine such as sedative like midazolam, benzodiazepine, clonazepam or clobazam. But i think before taking the medicine you should consult with your doctor.
Helpful links for Better Sleep at Night
If you feels that after taking all those measure yet you have sleep problem, It is recommended that you consult with your doctor.